The heartbroken parents of a 22-month-old toddler have told how they found her dead – just hours after she returned from hospital.
Baby Hailey Thompson was diagnosed with the virus on December 18, but her family have been told to continue giving her fluids and paracetamol instead of antibiotics.
But early the next day, her parents Kris Thompson, 32, and Iboyla Adam, 35, found her unconscious in her bedroom.
Kris performed CPR before a paramedic took over and the child was rushed to Wigan Infirmary – where she tragically died despite doctors’ best efforts.
Now an investigation has been launched after her parents complained that Hailey’s case had not been taken seriously enough.
Kris, from Wigan, Gtr Manchester, said: “We can’t believe we lost our baby girl.
“It all happened so fast. Something in her body took control of her.
“When we found her at 5.30am on Monday she was lying in the exact same position I had seen her when I went to bed at midnight, except she was stiff and her skin was discolored.
“It was a horrific sight that will haunt me for the rest of my life.
“We knew in our hearts she was gone but I called 999 and yelled into the phone that our daughter was dying so they had me do CPR until the rapid response paramedic arrives.
“But she couldn’t revive her and she was pronounced dead at the hospital.”
Hailey started with a cough and runny nose on December 7 and was taken to a GP who prescribed her antibiotics, but she stopped taking them due to an allergic reaction.
A week later she was taken to another doctor’s appointment where the family were told that as she had a viral infection she needed Calpol instead of antibiotics.
Just a day later, she was well enough to run around, eat and drink well, and go to bed at her usual 6:30 p.m.
Kris went to see her at 11pm, where he found his daughter gasping so he immediately called 999, who said an ambulance would be there shortly.
After 20 minutes he didn’t arrive and 111 told him there was a two hour wait, so he drove Hailey to A&E, where they waited over five hours before she was checked. .
The doctor tested Hailey’s blood pressure and couldn’t check her tonsils. So he told the family to go home, where she fell asleep straight away.
Her parents were told to keep her hydrated and dosed with Calpol and if she hadn’t improved in three days, to take her back to A&E.
She then woke up at noon, but was coughing, had a runny nose and was “completely out of character”.
Hailey was put to bed at 6.15pm on December 18 and Kris noticed she was panting again, but not as severely as before.
Less than six hours later, the couple make their most heartbreaking discovery.
Wigan Infirmary was having one of its busiest days on Sunday the 18th and a ‘critical incident’ was subsequently declared by the department.
But Ibolya and Kris want to know why no blood samples were taken when they took Hailey to the hospital “out of breath like a 90-year-old man”.
The couple also said an attempt to check his tonsils was aborted because the youngster was thrashing, closing his mouth and then vomiting.
Kris and Ibolya were told to take Hailey home and keep her hydrated, and if she hadn’t improved in three days, take her back to A&E.
But tragically, the youngster had died within 24 hours.
Kris said: “We want answers. How can a healthy baby die while sleeping?
“And why hasn’t she been tested for strep A, scarlet fever or Covid for example?”
A post-mortem examination cannot be carried out until December 28, leaving the couple facing an agonizing wait for answers and police have passed the details to the coroner.
A spokesperson for Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust said: “Our heartfelt condolences go out to Hailey’s family at this tragic time.
“We are aware of the family’s concerns and are currently awaiting further information to learn more.”
#Christmas #tragedy #toddler #dead #hours #home #hospital